Sunday 21 August 2011

The Perfect Foundation? Mac Studio Fix Fluid Foundation Review!

Finding the perfect foundation is a nightmare, right? Testing loads of different brands and shades in the shop, then going outside and looking in your mirror to check it looks okay in natural light, then taking your chosen product home to discover that it doesn't actually suit your skin at all. Women waste so much money on foundations that aren't even suitable for them, and it can take years to find your perfect foundation.

Personally, I have tried countless brands. Some have been alright and some have been terrible. And some have been nice on me at first, but then my skin changed slightly and it was no longer suitable (for example, Illamasqua's Rich Liquid foundation - used to look great and now makes me look ill. Read my short review of it here).

So around two weeks ago I set out on a mission to find the perfect foundation for me. I went into Glasgow with my best friend Lauren and we went into Debenhams to have a look at the various counters. I was willing to spend a little more than usual on the foundation, but I am an unemployed student, so my budget was still fairly low.

First of all I tried Urban Decay's Surreal Skin Creamm-to-Powder foundation. This wasn't terrible, but I felt it looked too powdery and a little cakey on my skin.


Next I tried a Benefit Playstick, which was also a Cream-to-Powder. I will point out though, that this is what the woman at the Benefit counter chose to try on me, I didn't pick it myself. The end result of this looked alright, however the woman did use a cleanser, toner, serum, primer, the Pore-ffesional, Moonbeam highlighter and blusher on me (I didn't ask her to do this). So although yes, my skin did look quite radiant actually, I knew this wasn't down to the foundation. I wouldn't be using any of the other products except the primer at home, so this wasn't a true representation of what I would look like each day.

By this point I was feeling a little disheartened, as I'm really impatient and I was just getting pretty fed up. I had been thinking about trying a mac foundation for a while, but I just assumed that they would be really expensive. I headed over to House of Fraser just to check how much they were and I was pleasantly surprised at the price. Most were around the £19 mark, though some were a little more expensive. I asked a woman there for help and she recommended the Studio Fix Fluid. She tried three different shades on me (none of the other make-up counters done this) and chose shade NC15. I was delighted with the final effect of the foundation and knew this was definitely the best one I had tried. I bought it for £19.50.



I have been using this for about two weeks now and I absolutely love it. It was exactly what I was looking for! I've noticed that when I put my powder over it, it gives an airbrush finish and my skin looks so smooth, with a nice glow that I haven't experienced with any other foundation. It lasts all day, though I may have to touch up my nose slightly, and a little goes a long way- I've hardly used any of it, so it's great value too.



I'm so pleased that I decided to try this foundation, as it suits my skin so well. I used to think that maybe mac was more about the hype and I wasn't sure if the products lived up to it, but this foundation certainly does, and I would recommend that you try it if you're on the hunt for a new foundation!

Have you used any mac foundations? What did you think of them? And what is your perfect foundation?

No comments:

Post a Comment